Chronic pain results from a number of underlying issues. The issues could be physical, environmental, nutritional, psycho-emotional, chemical, or a combination of all of these and more. Finding the right combination of causes is the key to finding the right solution for a patient. At Eastern Shore Pain Management, P.C., we make it our mission to pinpoint the underlying conditions that contribute to your pain and do all that we can to correct those particular issues.
Every chronic pain patient is seeking answers to three very important questions.
- What is wrong with me?
- What is going to happen to me in the long term?
- How can I achieve relief?
Diagnosis (What is wrong with me?)
In order to diagnose a patient’s condition, a thorough review of the patient’s medical history is done to uncover any previous health issues that may be contributing to their current pain.
Additionally Dr. McAlister will perform a thorough physical examination with special emphasis on the musculoskeletal and neurological systems, as well as a patient’s individual lifestyle and daily behavior.
With this information Dr. McAlister should be able to provide a specific medical diagnosis, as well as customized course of action devoted to treating an individual’s chief complaints.
Prognosis (What is going to happen to me in the long term?)
Once Dr. McAlister has uncovered the probable source of a patient’s chronic pain, the next step is determining what the patient can expect for the future and what treatments are available to them. Some of the goals that may be achieved through treatment include:
- Resuming normal activities
- Increasing the patient’s strength, stamina, and flexibility
- Minimizing the amount of pain that patient experiences on a regular basis
- Helping the patient to develop stress management techniques
- Finding ways to reduce the patient’s need for narcotic pain medication
- Helping the patient to develop methods for effectively managing their own pain without requiring continuous assistance from healthcare professionals
Treatment (How can I achieve relief?)
The staff at Eastern Shore Pain Management P.C. has an understanding of the pain that patient is experiencing. We will never treat you as a textbook reference or just another patient. We understand that each patient’s pain is a personal experience based on their own threshold, tolerance, and emotional state. Every individual with chronic pain is facing a complex phenomenon involving multiple factors. A plan of treatment will be developed to help each patient achieve relief of their unique pain.